Guatemala

Guatemala
My home for the next 6 weeks!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Raising Support

Signing up for this $ 2600 internship was definitely a big step of faith for me. I had less than $ 40 in my bank account, no job, and only a little in my savings account. But I have been learning lately that God desires to show Himself. Throughout the Bible, God is all about bringing Himself glory. He uses unqualified people and unusual means to accomplish His plans, so that everyone will KNOW that it was all of God. So I challenged God saying, “God, there is no way that I can get this money by myself. If I do raise it all, it will only be because You were behind it. I know you want to prove Yourself, so please do so in my situation. You promised that when I am weak and unable to do things on my own, You will prove Yourself strong. I’m relying on that promise.”

And true to His word, it has been amazing to see God provide the funds for this trip! The amount of my plane ticket is due this Friday, and yesterday I quite a bit short still. I was going to write a check from my savings account for the difference. But today, I received several checks that totaled to amount of the plane ticket, almost to the dollar!! Isn’t God good?? I was reminded of how God gives us our daily bread, not our bread for the week or for the month. He gives just what we need for today.

“…give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD ?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.” Proverbs 30:8-9

When Jesus was teaching His disciples how to pray, He said, “Give us today our daily bread.” (Matthew 6:11)

Some may call it “last minute” on God’s part, but I think the perfect timing of the funding just proves God’s provision.

This also reminded me of Exodus 16, when God rains down manna from heaven for the Israelites to eat. God commanded them to go out each day and only “gather enough for that day.” The people had to trust God daily to provide food. When they tried to take things into their own hands and gathered more than they needed for that day so they could stockpile some manna, God caused maggots to consume the manna. He wanted them to trust Him daily.

And why did He do it? “…you will see the glory of the LORD… you will know that it was the LORD” (Exodus 16:7-8). The God I serve today is the same God from the Old Testament. He still gives us manna from heaven in order to bring Himself glory and to show everyone that He was one responsible for the miracle. I haven’t even started my internship, and God has already been working! He’s amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment